What to Expect During Alcohol WithdrawalAlcohol withdrawal can be a frightening experience, but it’s important to remember that most people make a full recovery. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can range from mild to life-threatening, but they typically peak within the first 72 hours of quitting alcohol. The most common symptoms include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tremors or shaking
- Anxiety and irritability
- Confusion and difficulty thinking clearly
- Racing heart rate
The Stages of Alcohol DetoxAlcohol detox typically proceeds through three stages:
- The acute stage — This stage lasts for the first 72 hours after quitting alcohol. It’s characterized by the peak of withdrawal symptoms.
- The subacute stage — This stage lasts for one to two weeks after the acute stage. Symptoms begin to taper off during this time.
- The residual stage — This stage lasts for weeks or months after detox. Some withdrawal symptoms may persist during this time.
Benefits of Finding a Professional Detox ProgramThere are many benefits of finding a professional detox program. Some of the key benefits include:
- 24/7 care and monitoring
- Medications to help reduce symptoms
- Psychotherapy for addiction
- Aftercare services